Spring Diesel Gala - 28th April to May 1st 2017
Our home fleet locos will be in operation as well as visiting mainline locomotives. There will be refreshments on board as well as a Curry Train, and the opportunity to ride our newly restored branch line to Hoe and to our boundary with Network Rail.
Confirmed Locomotives & Units
- UKRL Class 56
- Rail Operations Group - Class 37 requested
We are in talks with other operators to confirm further visitors. All locomotives are subject to change and availability.
Photos courtesy of Colin Mackrow, Geoff Tibble and various Mid-Norfolk Railway members.
- News (3rd April) – Recent arrival, 37688 has had a successful test run over the weekend and is now confirmed for the diesel gala weekend.
- First visiting loco announced (5th April) – we are pleased to announce that subject to availability, Rail Operations Group will be sending one of their fleet for the gala. A Class 37 has been requested.
- Update (10th April) - There will be the opportunity ride in a brake van on selected vacuum-hauled carriage journeys (to be announced) over the gala weekend either behind the leading locomotive or at the rear of the train. Further details below.
- Update (24th April) - We are pleased to announce that Direct Rail Services are able to support the event by supplying a locomotive. Class and number yet to be confirmed.
- Further Update (24th April) - Due to circumstances beyond our control we have been advised by DC Rail that 31452 is no longer available due to maintenance requirements. As the move of the 56 and 31 were to be combined it's now not economically viable for just the 56, however we are pleased to announce that UKRL have agreed that a 56 can attend from Leicester.
- Diesel Gala Update (25th April) - It is with disappointment from both the MNR and Network Rail that due to operational requirements 31233 will not be available for the gala.
|Online advance tickets
Scroll down or click the prices
|1 Day Rover||2 Day Rover||3/4 Day Rover|
1 Return Trip covers one whole journey between Hoe-Dereham-Wymondham.
Day Rovers cover all journeys between Hoe-Dereham-Wymondham.
|On the day of travel||1 Return Trip||1 Day Rover||2 Day Rover||3/4 Day Rover|
Draft timetable - subject to change
A draft timetable of the event is available here, this was last updated on 3rd April 2017.
Each day consists of a number of return trips between Dereham and Wymondham including some special extended trips to Hoe and our boundary with Network Rail at Wymondham.
Tea, coffee, drinks, snacks and light refreshments will be available on our hauled carriage sets during the gala.
On Saturday 29th April at 6pm, we will be running a Heart of Norfolk Curry Train. The Mid-Norfolk Railway's Mark 3 Intercity kitchen car will be in operation. Space is limited in the restaurant car so make sure you take your seat early. Please come back for more details soon.
There will be the opportunity to ride in a brake van on selected vacuum-hauled carriage journeys (to be announced) over the gala weekend either behind the leading locomotive or at the rear of the train.
To ride in the brake van, donations will be collected to go towards our shed fund, spaces will be given on a first come first served basis.
Those travelling in the brake van must remain on-board for the whole journey between Dereham and Wymondham and vice versa. As a brake van is open to the elements, make sure you have warm clothing with you.
Branch line to Hoe
The diesel gala will see a chance to ride on our branch line north to Hoe. There will be trips each day. Services only run on this section on specially selected dates so be sure not to miss it. The ‘Northern Section’ of the MNR runs for approximately 3 miles and is currently being restored gradually back into use.